Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Fun With Epsom Salt!



I seriously love Epsom Salt. I was introduced to it several years ago and have used it continuously for stress relief and injury. It is a pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate so the use of the word "salt" is a bit misleading. Epsom Salt has been used for a number of ailments and has many health benefits. I have used the regular Epsom Salt and the Lavender scented one. So what does one do with this inexpensive product?

I take long, luxurious baths with lots of Epsom Salt in the water. During the winter months my body tends to ache for no reason at all. I love coming home from work and soaking for about 30 minutes. The beauty of this is that Epsom Salt will help with aches and pains, stress and will soften your skin. Also, it removes toxins in your skin by facilitating normal bodily functions. You leave the bath feeling refreshed and relaxed!

Some people add a very small amount of Epsom Salt to their daily skin regiment. It acts like an exfoliant to get rid of dead skin. What I never knew but learned after I began using this fantastic mineral is that magnesium is important to keep enzyme activity regular in your body. Apparently, more than half of all Americans have a magnesium deficiency, which is believed to be a factor in all kinds of health problems.

If you have dry skin, using Epsom Salt will help soothe the trouble spots and leave you with smooth skin.

I have also used Epsom Salt to keep my plants healthy. I will add a couple tablespoons of Epsom Salt to the water when I water the plants. It just seems to make them healthier and apparently it helps to increase chlorophyll production and it deters pests. This is why you can use it on a wide variety of indoor and outdoor plants but make sure to look for proper instructions on how much to use.

I recently found a lotion at CVS that contains Epsom Salt. So if you don't have time for a nice bath or you just have some localized pain then it is a good product to rub on to your skin. It provides relief for me!

I've also used Epsom Salt to reduce the look of bruises on my skin. I tend to bruise very easily and applying a warm compress mixed with a dash of Epsom Salt helps to alleviate the look of the bruise on my skin. 

There are a lot of ways to gain relief by using Epsom Salt but these are just a few. I'm no doctor but it has helped me tremendously with basic stress relief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment