Tuesday, February 18, 2014

And Then I looked Up

I didn't want to get out of bed today. It was dark and dreary and I had barely slept all night. Nightmares had kept me in an anxious state of mind so any sleep that came was shrouded in frivolous thoughts and fears. I opened my eyes this morning and I didn't want to move. My bed was toasty and it was so cold outside. My dogs were perched on the bed peering at me. I knew that if I moved then they would expect food so I continued to lay on my back and looked around me without turning my head. A few minutes later, one of the dogs moved closer and started licking my hand. For a brief moment I felt an urgency to get up and then annoyance that I would have to bundle up and walk. I put my hand on the side of my dogs face and peered into his beautiful blue eyes. It was time to get up.

With shoulders down and a cloudy eye I fed the dogs and then grumbled as I put my boots on. I always wore many layers because I knew that twenty degree weather was not something to mess with and I didn't want to catch a cold. Leggings, jeans, boots, t-shirt, sweatshirt, coat, hat and gloves. After connecting the leashes to the dogs' collars I opened the door. A blistering gust of wind hit me right in the face and took my breath away. Instantly I was shaking. We began walking and I dragged my feet. There was ice everywhere and I had fallen one too many times so I moved at a slow pace. I kept my eyes on the ground, trying to avoid the wind. It felt like it was whipping my cheeks and entering my bones. I was agitated by this and wanted the walk to be over so desperately.

I was feeling miserable and I was unsure why. I knew that I was feeling drained and that I had a lack of sleep. I was feeling sorry for myself. Geez, who else in the world had to wake up so early, bundle up and walk their dogs in the icy tundra! Life seemed so unfair and I was the only person walking that icy road.
As I continued to bask in the glory of my misery, another gust of wind tossed my hood aside. I fumbled, reached for it and then I looked up.

The sun had come up and beautiful shades of orange were gloriously painting the sky. Everything was silent and I stopped in my tracks. The various hues of blue, orange and purple were refreshing. I couldn't help but smile and after a moment of silence, I noticed a large group of birds move across the sky. They were elegant and serene.

All my misery washed away because of the glory of what was surrounding me. I hadn't even noticed it because I was too busy feeling sorry for myself and looking at the ground. I almost missed the majesty that was all around me. Almost instantly I began walking faster with a big smile on my face. My dogs picked up on my mood and started walking proudly forward. The negativity that I felt earlier was gone. Lifted from my shoulders.

Looking up saved me from having a day of sadness and misery. From one moment to the next my mood was altered because of the beautiful earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment